Monday 9 April 2012

Anti-Gravity Yoga



Lately I've been hearing a lot about anti-gravity yoga, a fusion technique that combines dance, Pilates and calisthenics with yoga and claims to relieve compressed joints, whilst re-aligning the entire body. This style of yoga is practiced in a sort of soft trapeze that can be used as a hammock - the type you might see in a Cirque du Soleil performance! It certainly sounds interesting, so I've been on the hunt for some more information...



Anti-gravity yoga was created by former gymnast and dancer, Christopher Harrison and is designed to increase the practitioner's overall health and physical well-being. Given that the technique was originally designed for professional athletes and dancers, I had expected it to be more focussed on the physical than the spiritual side of yoga. However, after watching the below video, I have the impression that the element of suspension would make the practice quite liberating. It seems that all of the students are enjoying practicing the "art of letting go" and I will admit that it looks more serene than circus! 


This practice is relatively new to Australia, but I was able to locate some classes in Sydney. See House of Yoga's website for more info on their anti-gravity classes (I have not attended - but would love to!). Personally, I love trying out and hearing about new and different styles of yoga. Please feel free to share your experiences of anti-gravity or other unusual styles of yoga below.


Wishing you a fun and productive week,


*Little Lotus*



No comments:

Post a Comment